Taking it Further Research Course (June-Control)
Date: 01/02/2022 - 30/04/2022
Starting this June 2021, the Oxford Mindfulness Centre will offer a number of ‘Taking it Further’ courses at a reduced fee if you take part in a research study – both the courses and the research will be online. This study involves completing surveys that will ask questions about your well-being and mental health over time.
You are invited to complete your first survey by June 14th, 12:00 midnight, UK Time: https://psychiatryoxford.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0pmMexpHDuhSyHQ
The survey should take less than 10 minutes to complete and it will ask you to fill out a consent form and to answer questions on well-being. We will be recording changes in your well-being prior to the start of the study to make sure it is the right time for you to take part. If you have recently experienced a traumatic event or are struggling with bereavement, please get in touch with the research team so that we can support you and discuss the next steps.
Please complete this registration form no later than June 14th midday, UK Time so that we can process all the applications on time. The research team will be in contact to inform you of your eligibility and you will receive your next survey one week after completing this survey, so please check your email regularly and if you have not received it by then, please contact the research team at firstname.lastname@example.org
To take part in the Taking it Further research study we ask that you meet the below eligibility criteria:
(1) You are 18 years old or over.
(2) You have completed either a Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) or Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) course at some point in the past. Introductory/taster/teacher training courses are not eligible. Mindfulness teachers are not eligible to take part. If you have already completed the Taking it Further programme, then you are not eligible to take part.
(3) You are available to begin a 12-week Taking it Further course weekly on Mondays from June 28th (10:00 - 12:15 - UK time).
(4) You agree to watch an orientation video before the start of the study. The research team will offer this video closer to the start date.
(5) You agree to complete online surveys before the start of the study, during the study, and after the study. You will be invited to complete a brief survey by June 14th, June 21st, June 27th, July 20th, August 17th, and September 14th.
(6) You acknowledge that the reduced fee of £138 is a research-funded subsidized rate to attend one Taking it Further course. Please refer to the terms and conditions to view the cancellation/reimbursement policy by following this link: https://www.oxfordmindfulness.org/about-us/courses/terms-and-conditions/ . Please email Shannon if you have any questions.
(7) You will have access to a computer to participate in the online Taking it Further course and research surveys.
(8) You acknowledge that you will be randomized to one of two groups. You will be randomized to a ‘treatment’ or ‘control’ group. If you are allocated to the ‘treatment’ group, then you will be offered the Taking it Further course starting June 28th and you will complete a few surveys during the 12-week course. If you are allocated to ‘control’ then you will complete a few surveys over the course of 12 weeks from June 28th and will be offered a Taking it Further course at a later time (weekly on Mondays from October 4th, 10:00-12:15 UK Time). If you cannot make this alternate time, please email Shannon at email@example.com
Registering does not confirm your place on the course due to limited capacity.
Fees & availabilityPlease review the information sheet for details regarding reimbursement requests.
Please check your spam folder for any missing correspondence from us and add our emails to your safe sender list. If you find you have not received anything from us up to a week before course commencement, email the team on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where did you hear about the event
This new programme is for graduates of Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) or Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) Introductory/taster/teacher training courses are not eligible.
What programme was your 8 week course?
Please explain the type of MBCT course you completed:
Where did you do your 8 week course?
Who did you do your 8 week course with? Please include first and last name.
When did you do your 8 week course? Please include month and year.
Please note that you may be asked for proof of completion (e.g. course certificate), so please be ready to have this on hand.
For teaching quality purposes we occasionally video record our course sessions. We will direct the camera only at the teachers but class discussions will be audible. The recordings are used for internal purposes only. Please feel free to speak with the teacher, if you have any concerns about this.
Following the submission of your pre-course questionnaire, you may be contacted by the Course Lead to discuss if the course is appropriate for you to attend at this time. If you mutually decide that it is not, you will be refunded in full.
Please check the box if you have not yet completed a 'Taking it Further' course. This course has also been referred to as the 'Beyond 8-weeks' and the 'Deepening and Sustaining Mindfulness for Life' course.
Please check the box if you are available to begin the 12-week Taking it Further course weekly on a Monday starting October 4th (10:00-12:15 - UK time).
Please check the box if you will have access to a computer to complete online questionnaires and attend weekly mindfulness sessions.
Are you English-speaking? If so, please check the box.
Please check the box if you are 18 years old or over.
Please check the box if you are not a trained mindfulness teacher.
Please check the box if you acknowledge that you will be randomized into a 'treatment' and a 'control' group which means that you will be offered the course on October 4th or at a later date.
Please check the box if you agree to complete an orientation session before the start of the study.
Please check the box if you agree to complete online surveys before, during, and after the 12-week research study.
Please check the box if you acknowledge that the reduced fee of £138 is a research funded subsidised rate to attend one Taking it Further course.
If any of these box are unchecked then you may not be eligible to take part. The research team will reach out with next steps.
The OMC runs research and evaluation programmes to inform scientific understanding of mindfulness. Participation would involve completing some short electronic questionnaires, from home, before and after your mindfulness course with the possibility of future longer term follow up (depending on the research project). Agreeing to receive further information does not oblige you to take part and there is not always a project underway, however we would like to send you more information for you to consider.
I consent to be contacted by the research team with further information
If you have any questions, please contact Shannon Maloney.
Equality & Diversity
The OMC follows the University of Oxford's policy on Equality and Diversity, to foster an inclusive culture which promotes equality, values diversity and maintains a working, learning and social environment in which the rights and dignity of all its participants, students and staff are respected.
The diversity information you provide is kept as confidential and will be anonymised for any research or statistical analysis. It is kept in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
Terms & Conditions
Yes please - I want to be contacted by the OMC.
Support the Oxford Mindfulness Foundation
The Oxford Mindfulness Foundation works to promote good mental health and resilience through mindfulness. To do this, we are actively working to bring the benefits of Mindfulness-based Cognitive Therapy to groups who are currently underrepresented in the mindfulness community. As an independent not-for-profit charity we rely on donations to do this. Please consider adding a donation to support this aspect of our work.
I would like to make a donation of:
Please enter the amount that you'd like to donate: £